The Windows operating system has experienced considerable changes. With the update to Windows 10, users now have features that make their work much easier. From key shortcuts to better command and game prompts, exclusive applications, and more, Microsoft has improved their user experience.
One such improvement is Cortana’s voice assistant. Cortana is very similar to Apple Siri or Amazon Alexa, digital assistants that offer personal functions and can be adjusted to make your life easier. Cortana was originally a feature of Windows phones but Windows has now made it an important element of their laptops and desktops.
Cortana is not activated on Windows 10 by default. You must activate it to get its function.
Fun fact, Cortana is named after the AI character in the Halo Microsoft game series.
1. Log in to your Microsoft Account
Cortana has some basic functions that you can use without logging into your Microsoft Account, but to get the full experience of having a digital assistant, everything you need to sign in. If you haven’t already, sign in to Windows using your Microsoft Account.
2. Activate Cortana
There are several ways to activate Cortana. The best thing is you don’t need to install special software; You only need to change the default settings.
First, you can:
- Use the Search icon at the bottom left of your Windows screen.
- Type Cortana.
- Choose your language settings.
- Done Basic settings complete.
The second option is:
- In the lower corner of your screen, select the Windows icon.
- Click on the Settings icon.
- Select Cortana on the Settings page that appears.
- Choose your language settings, and you are ready to use Cortana.
Your third option is:
- Right-click on your taskbar.
- Select the Show Cortana option.
- Now it’s easy!
3. Regulate Cortana
After you activate Cortana, the icon will appear on the taskbar. Now, organize Cortana by following these simple steps.
- Turn on your internal or external microphone and make sure it is accessible.
- If your microphone is not active, open Settings.
- Click Privacy> Activate Microphone.
- After that, click Voice Activation and select Allow Apps to use Voice Activation.
- After this, you can select the Cortana button in the taskbar.
- Allow Cortana to access online talk permissions. This step will help him recognize your voice and speech patterns. All you need to do is click on Sure.
- The screen will ask you to say the sentence to the microphone to check that the sentence is functioning correctly.
- If you are still not logged in, Cortana will ask you to log in to your Microsoft account.
After logging in to your Microsoft account, you can start testing Cortana by asking it to look for anything.
- Click the Settings icon on Cortana.
- Go to Permissions.
- Personalize your permission settings and privacy settings.
- You can also link Cortana to various other accounts such as your Outlook and Gmail accounts, Skype, LinkedIn, and others using the NoteBook function.
Why use Cortana?
Apart from being an efficient digital voice assistant that is easy to set up, there are other reasons why you want to use Cortana.
- Cortana can determine your work in Office 365, which is very helpful for Microsoft Word. This will help you get things done faster if you are not the fastest.
- Cortana is very good for online searches. From basic trivia questions to complex research topics, Cortana will help you search the web for whatever you need.
- Cortana will read the text for you. If you are far from a laptop or personal computer, you can ask Cortana to read what is on the screen. This works well when you do many tasks.
- Cortana can be linked to Spotify and play music for you on orders.
- Cortana can schedule your calendar in Outlook and Gmail and also remind you of upcoming events.
- Cortana seamlessly integrates all the Microsoft functions that it has permission to access.
- You can always refuse Cortana’s permission or turn it off without worrying about speech privacy.
So why not try Cortana today? He is the assistant you will like. Remember to personalize Cortana using permissions so you can get the best from this new Windows 10 feature.