GoPro Hero 8 Black is one of the best action cameras out there and its use is not only limited to vlogging and videography adventures but can be used as a webcam too.
Although, the GoPro webcam is not a new concept because many have used their GoPro camera as a webcam alternative for a long time but it is a tedious process and involves many additional accessories such as dongles and HDMI cables to set it up and use it as a webcam.
In this article, we will show you how to set up and use GoPro Hero 8 Black easily as a webcam in just a few simple steps and without requiring additional accessories.
How to update the GoPro Hero 8 Black camera to use the webcam feature
To activate the webcam feature on GoPro Hero 8, you must install the GoPro Webcam firmware on your camera. Follow the steps below to update your GoPro Hero 8 Black camera to activate the new webcam feature.
- Step 1: Download the GoPro Webcam Firmware Beta on your computer.
- Step 2: Extract the firmware to find the UPDATE.zip file.
- Step 3: Extract the UPDATE.zip file further and make sure the extracted file contains the UPDATE folder.
- Step 4: Next, remove your GoPro microSD card and insert it into your computer.
- Step 5: Copy the UPDATE folder from your computer to the root level of your microSD card.
- Step 6: After the folder is copied to your microSD card, safely remove the microSD card from your computer.
- Step 7: Check that your GoPro camera is not active. If not, turn it off.
- Step 8: Insert the microSD card into your GoPro camera’s memory slot and turn on the camera.
- Step 9: Your GoPro Camera will automatically start the update.
- Step 10: Wait for the update process to finish. Your camera will turn itself off and on several times during this process. When finished, you will see a check mark on the home screen.
If the update fails for some reason, remove and reinsert the battery and start the update process from the beginning.
How to activate the Webcam Black GoPro Hero 8
After you have successfully installed the GoPro webcam firmware, it’s time to activate and use your GoPro Hero 8 Black as a webcam. Follow these steps to set up and turn your GoPro into a webcam.
- Step 1: Download and install the GoPro Desktop Webcam Utility on your computer.
- Step 2: Launch the GoPro Webcam Application.
- Step 3: Turn on your GoPro and connect it to your computer (USB 3.0 port) via a USB cable.
- Step 4: Your camera will now enter USB mode. Wait for the blue dot to appear, which indicates the connection was successful.
- Step 5: Click the GoPro icon on the status bar and select “Show Preview”.
- Step 6: Now you will see a camera preview. You can switch between “mirror” and “flip”. This will allow you to check and adjust your webcam settings before they go live.
How to use your GoPro Hero 8 Black webcam in your webcam apps
For this guide, we will show you how to set up and use GoPro Webcam with Zoom, a popular video conferencing program.
Follow the steps below to set up the GoPro webcam in your Zoom application.
- Step 1: Launch your Zoom application and open Preferences.
- Step 2: Open Video and set GoPro Camera as the camera of choice. If you don’t see the GoPro camera option, close and restart the application so that the camera is visible.
- Step 3: Your camera will now enter Webcam mode.
You can adjust the resolution by clicking on the GoPro icon in the status bar and selecting Preferences. Currently, you can choose between 1080p or 720p.
At the time of this writing, the GoPro Webcam supports the following applications and platforms.
- Zoom (v 5.0.5 and newer) and Zoom Chrome Extension
- YouTube Live (Using Chrome)
- Webex (Using Chrome)
- Google Meet
- Microsoft Team
- Twitches through OBS
- Blue jeans
- Go on meeting
- Take a camera
- Facebook room
- Facetime for Desktop
For Chrome support, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Open your Chrome browser and click the menu button located in the upper right corner (3 vertical dots)
- Step 2: Open Settings
- Step 3: Choose Privacy and security
- Step 4: Select Site Settings
- Step 5: Click Camera under permissions.
- Step 6: Adjust your GoPro camera under the permitted camera program.
So that’s all there is to using your GoPro Hero 8 Black as a webcam. Currently, this method only works on MacOS. The GoPro Webcam for Windows is currently under development. We will update this guide when and when a Windows version is available.