Isn’t that only annoying when Bing establishes itself as your default search engine? Now, you can delete it and replace it with something much better like Google, Yahoo !, or even Ecosia (if you feel a little generous). Remember that this will not show you how to delete Bing. There really is no way to do that if there is anything on your PC. The simple steps below show you how to get rid of it on three different platforms. You don’t need to worry about changing your search engine anymore!
Before you begin, note that some web browsers will ask you to “find” the search engine of your choice before you set it as the default. This means that you have to open the search engine of your choice in Chrome or IE or whatever you have activated for the transition to really function. This does not apply to all web browsers, so don’t worry if you skip this step. But to be safe, here’s how you allow web browsers to “find” search engines:
- Open Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Microsoft Edge.
- Type the search engine that you want to switch (Google, Ecosia, etc.) in the Address field.
- From there, follow the method that applies to you below.
Remove Bing on Chrome
- First, open Google Chrome on your device. In the upper right corner, you will see a vertical ellipse (three consecutive points). Click on them then select “Settings” in the drop-down menu.
- From the menu on the left, select “Appearance”. Scroll down until you see the option for “Search engine”.
- Select the search engine of your choice from “Search engine used in the address bar”. Among Bing, you will get options for Google, Yahoo !, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia. Select one.
- If the search engine you want is not listed, navigate to the options below that say “Manage search engines”. From there, click “Add” and type what you want.
- In the same menu, click the ellipse next to the URL for Bing. Of the three options, click “Remove from list”.
- Click Back to visit Settings again. From the left menu, go to “At startup”. If the bing is under “Open a specific page or set of pages,” go to the same ellipsis as before and click “Delete”. You have officially removed bing on Chrome.
Remove Bing in Internet Explorer
To delete Bing from Internet Explorer (IE):
- Open Internet Explorer, then select Tools> Manage add-ons.
- From the left menu, open “Find Provider”. You must look at Google and use the order of the listings. Click on Google and select “Set as default”.
- Finally, click on Bing and select “Delete”. You have officially gotten rid of Bing in Internet Explorer.
Remove Bing on Microsoft Edge
To delete Bing on Microsoft Edge:
- Open Microsoft Edge then open the Google website. In the upper right corner, click the ellipsis (three consecutive dots).
- Under General in the left menu, select “Privacy & Security”. Under the Default browser, click “Change my default”. Under Change search engine select Google then click “Set as default”. You have successfully removed Bing from Microsoft Edge.
And so it is! Simple steps to get rid of Bing in your web browser. It’s just a little complicated for Chrome (I mean have more steps), but overall, you shouldn’t have any trouble changing the search engine!